Lead has been mined on the Enthoven site since Roman times.The current site was originally the Mill Close Mine, one of the most valuable lead mines in Gt. Britain.The smelter itself was established by Mill Close Mines in 1934 and was bought in 1941 by H J Enthoven and Sons,a London based Lead producer.From 1970 to 1994 the company was owned by the Royal Dutch Shell Group,during which time the operations were substantially replaced and upgraded.Since 1994 the company has been owned by Quexco Inc, a privately held US company based in Dallas, Texas.The smelter sits at the centre of a 250 acre woodland site on the edge of the Peak District National Park and is a major player in lead recycling.